Newbie: Error message each time panel tries to start.

I have tried to get GNOME .20 that came on the RedHat 5.1 distribution
to work.  I checked that all of the needed libraries, utilities , etc.
were installed on my system.  Whenever I attempt to start the panel I
get the following error messages:
    debug: need old_cfg here
    started applet, pid: 5138(or similar number)
    address.cc:437: assertion failed
    **  ERROR  **: could not communicate with the panel
    [3]+ Aborted       (core dumped)  panel
Note:  during the generation of the above messages the bottom of my
screen flashes a white bar across the bottom of my screen as if trying
to load the panel?  This is momentary and the screen then redraws
whatever was there in the first place.

Thinking that I had installed something improperly I uninstalled all of
the GNOME code and the needed libraries and utilities, and reinstalled
the whole kit and kaboodle.  I get precisely the same error  situation.
My son likes GNOME and recommends I try it but he is unable to help me
with this.

I have been working with Linux trying to climb the "learning curve"
since June.  I am an OS/2 user who can see the handwriting on the wall
with Big Blue so I decided to give Linux a try.  I think it has enormous
potential.  Anyway thanks for your time.  I would greatly appreciate any
help that can be offered.

Doug Pearson <dpearson@ria.net>