Re: Problem with autoconf *just* with Gnome CVS stuff

On Thu, Nov 12, 1998 at 01:10:25PM -0500, Jeff Garzik mentioned:
> > [valen@minbar glib]$ CFLAGS="-s -O2" ./configure
> > ./configure: syntax error near unexpected token `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE,'
> > ./configure: ./configure: line 566: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE, $VERSION, no-define)'
> > [valen@minbar glib]$
> >
> >  Any idea why this comes up ?
>
> It can't find automake.  I don't remember (and can't tell from context
> above) if you are compiling from CVS, but here's what you need to do...
>
> 	aclocal
> 	automake -a
> 	autoconf
> 	CFLAGS='-s -O2' ./configure
>
> AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE is an automake macro, so if you get an error there,
> it's because autoconf didn't find automake's macro files.
>
> (this assumes that you have autoconf, automake, and libtool installed
> already)

 Ah, a gentleman and a scholar. That seemed to fix the problem. Must see
what I've done to injure automake...Alas, now it seems to complain about
not being able to find a config.h.in - which seems to have been moved from
the repository, according to the ChangeLog. This seems to break, er, much,
because config.h is empty, and nothing #defines handy thigns like
HAVE_UNISTD_H etc. Is config.h used anymore ?

Kate

--
'As my grandmother used to say, as she worked away on her spinning wheel,
"Those who do not remember history, are doomed to repeat it, especially if