Re: Problem with autoconf *just* with Gnome CVS stuff

John Kate Looney wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 11, 1998 at 11:09:44AM -0500, Jeff Garzik mentioned:
> > > [valen@minbar glib]# autoconf
> > > configure.in:137: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
> > > configure.in:138: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
> > [...]
> >
> > Macros that execute a program are considered unsafe for
> > cross-compilation, and the glib macros are indeed executing programs
> > during the configure step.
> > Ignore the warnings unless you are cross-compiling.  :)
>
>  Oh, OK, so it's nothing to do with this that follows:
>
> [valen@minbar glib]$ CFLAGS="-s -O2" ./configure
> ./configure: syntax error near unexpected token `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE,'
> ./configure: ./configure: line 566: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE, $VERSION, no-define)'
> [valen@minbar glib]$
>
>  Any idea why this comes up ?

It can't find automake.  I don't remember (and can't tell from context
above) if you are compiling from CVS, but here's what you need to do...

	aclocal
	automake -a
	autoconf
	CFLAGS='-s -O2' ./configure

AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE is an automake macro, so if you get an error there,
it's because autoconf didn't find automake's macro files.

(this assumes that you have autoconf, automake, and libtool installed
already)

	Jeff