Re: checking out and updating

+----- From: Raja R Harinath <harinath@cs.umn.edu>
| Tri <merlintm@atlnet.com> writes:
| > Sometimes the update causes the source to become broken (won't
| > compile).
|
| That is usually not a problem with CVS itself, but with the development
| cycle -- you occasionally get broken sources, and it is fixed soon,
| too.  The only effect of using AnonCVS is that everyone gets to play
| with highly unstable programs, not just the developers.  Since you
| volunteered yourself to test these unstable programs, you get to deal
| with the occasional problems.
+--->8

Unfortunately, that isn't always true.  For example, at least once a week
I need to blow away ORBit and re-check it out with -rFOR_PANEL because it
somehow loses the sticky tag.  :-(  (Sometimes "cvs update -dP" will work,
often it doesn't.)

Despite the claims, I get the impression that CVS isn't as robust as it should
be.

--
brandon s. allbery	[os/2][linux][solaris][japh]	 allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator	     [WAY too many hats]	   allbery@ece.cmu.edu