Re: building from CVS... some thoughts

On 02 November, 1998 - Gleef sent me these 3.0K bytes:

> One tip, particularly useful if you use more than one different CVS
> server is to set up an alias as follows (in your .bashrc) (NOTE: tcsh
> users would use the tcsh alias syntax, which is slightly different):
>
> alias cvsgnome="cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@anoncvs.gnome.org:/cvs/gnome"
>
> The "-d :pserver..." eliminates the need to use the setenv command.
> If you set one of these aliases for each CVS server you use, it allows
> you to access multiple CVS servers without constantly changing the
> CVSROOT variable.

You only need to set the CVSROOT variable once, after that cvs remembers
which cvsroot you used (from the CVS/Root file in each directory).

> > just enter on passwd since there is none.
> >
> > -the first time you want to bring a module from cvs :
> >
> > > cvs -z3 checkout <module_name>
> >
> > where module_name could be "gtk+" "glib" "ORBit" "gnome-libs" ...The
> > z3 is not mandatory but fasten things up by
> > compressing/uncompressing on both sides.
>
> Another handy tip, if you checkout the CVSROOT (all caps) module, you
> will find the file CVSROOT/modules has a nice listing of all the
> modules available on the server.

cvs checkout -c   reads the modules-file from the server and shows it to
you..

> > This will build up a subdirectory from you local point named
> > "module_name".  Everything you need (humm almost ..) for this module
> > is there.
> >
> > > From now on, each time you would like to bring the module in sync
> > > with the developpment tree, just do
> >
> > > setenv CVSROOT :pserver:anonymous@anoncvs.gnome.org:/cvs/gnome
> >
> > >  cvs login
> >
> > > cd "module_name"
> >
> > > cvs -z3 update
>
> Actually I would add a -Pd (as in "cvs -z3 -Pd update" or "cvsgnome
> -z3 -Pd update"), that will add and remove directories as needed.

And you only need to set the CVSROOT once, and only login once as well.
(Unless you delete the CVS-directory or ~/.cvspass )

Just cd "module_name" and then cvs -z3 up  and it'll know which module
to update and from where.

/Tomas
--
Tomas Ögren, stric@ing.umu.se, http://www.ing.umu.se/~stric/
|- Student of Computer Science at the University of Umeå