CORBA? COM/DCOM?

I'm curious, what are the relative merits of CORBA vs COM/DCOM from Microsoft?
I have yet to find a good solid description of exactly what CORBA gives me as a
user and why it's any better (or worse) than COM/DCOM?  (Aside from that DCOM
et al is closed, and from Microsoft).  What I mean is, I can say "COM gives me
the ability to embed a spreadsheet in a word doc", but what can I say about
CORBA?  Ok, it let's me do that too, but what else?  Why is it cooler?  (Guess
I'm just looking for ammo to be able to say that CORBA is a better protocol
than COM/DCOM.)
Jiva DeVoe
E-Mail: Jiva DeVoe <jiva@devware.com>
All most people want is a little more than they'll ever get.