Re: JAVA in Gnome?

On Fri, 29 May 1998, Ben R. Boule wrote:
> That's what I meant.  I think Guavac compiles java directly to an
> executable for your machine.  It says it's a "standalone Java Compiler."

Actually that's not true.  Guavac compiles Java source to Java bytecode,
just like "javac".  It is standalone in the sense that it doesn't require
any other Java stuff to be installed (well, except any API classes that
you're referencing, I guess).  javac is written in Java and hence requires
a JVM to run.

Cygnus is working on Java->native extensions for gcc, but they're still in
a pretty early stage as far as I know.

--
Dan McGuirk
mcguirk@indirect.com