Re: FONTS in Gnome?

On Fri, 29 May 1998, Bertrand Guiheneuf wrote:
> Is there any plan to include a support for a good font system as True Type
> (Freetype lib or xfstt) or any other standard like GX (mac)?

GNOME currently runs on top of X-Windows, and has access to all of the
fonts that X-Windows has.  This means typically, we have use of the
standard X-Windows bitmap font types (bdf, pcf, snf), and the commonly
supported outline font types (Adobe Type 1 [pfa & pfb] and Speedo fonts
[spd]).  X-Windows also supports font servers, one of which is xfstt which
you listed above, so through those TrueType fonts are accessible.

>From the tenor of your questions in general, and if I misunderstand
where you are coming from, there are those who have this
misunderstanding, it looks as though you are thinking of GNOME as a
radical departure from existing standards, and are wondering if we will
support the X-Windows features applications and libraries you have grown
comfortable with.  GNOME is being designed to be run on top of all that
you are comfortable with, adding a common look and feel, and a level of
interoperability not yet seen in the X-Windows world.  With GNOME you can
still use your favorite X-Server, your favorite libraries, your favorite
window manager, your favorite applications, and so on and so forth.  Those
applications and libraries written designed for GNOME, however, are likely
to show some advantages to the non-GNOME applications.

If you want to make sure that the libraries/applications/window
manager/whatever that you like to use is GNOME aware, and makes use of the
best GNOME has to offer, get involved in development, or get the programs
developer involved in GNOME.

Best of Luck,
Gleef