Re: JAVA in Gnome?

On 29 May 1998, Jens Lautenbacher wrote:

> > // I think that it would be really fantastic if Gnome could be programmed
> > // in  Java.  I know it's a point of contention for a lot of people, but
> > // I think  Java is a great language to program GUI apps in, and the AWT
> > // ranks very  high on my list of "Quality" Gui toolkits.
> >
> > That what every IHM professional say either.
>
> The pre Swing AWT? I doubt that.

I'm not sure what you guys are saying, but I've found the 1.1 AWT to be
very good.  You can usually find an elegant way to write your GUI without
much code.  It's certainly a lot less painful than GTK or Qt.

> > // If we really want to use it though, it's probably better to go with
> > // guavac than with a JVM though.  How hard would it be to put some hooks
> > //  into guavac to people to call any methods it needs to communicate
> > // with  other Gnome apps, panel, etc?  (And how mature is guavac?)
> >
> > I might not understanding what you're saying but guavac is only a
> > java->bytecode compiler. You still need a jvm to run the apps.
> > Were you thinking of a java->C compiler?

That's what I meant.  I think Guavac compiles java directly to an
executable for your machine.  It says it's a "standalone Java Compiler."

Later,
Ben Boule