Re: JAVA in Gnome?

bboule@xylogics.com said:
// I think that it would be really fantastic if Gnome could be programmed
// in  Java.  I know it's a point of contention for a lot of people, but
// I think  Java is a great language to program GUI apps in, and the AWT
// ranks very  high on my list of "Quality" Gui toolkits.
That what every IHM professional say either.

// If we really want to use it though, it's probably better to go with
// guavac than with a JVM though.  How hard would it be to put some hooks
//  into guavac to people to call any methods it needs to communicate
// with  other Gnome apps, panel, etc?  (And how mature is guavac?)
I might not understanding what you're saying but guavac is only a
java->bytecode compiler. You still need a jvm to run the apps.
Were you thinking of a java->C compiler?

// Perhaps JFC/Swing would even let us implement a GTK look-and-feel for
// Java.  (I'm not sure if Sun lets you implement your own look and feel,
//  but if you use JFC/Swing, you can change between a bunch of differen
// lnf's at runtime.)

	Bertrand