Re: A Proposal For The Addition Of Color-Reactiveness To The GNOME Desktop

Toshio Kuratomi <badger@prtr-13.ucsc.edu> writes:

> On Sun, 24 May, 1998 at 02:13:19PM +0200, Peter Bortas set free these words:

> > Of course. You just set the hints from another program. In most cases
> > that program would probe for something like /proc. I don't see the
> > problem.

> The problem is that some people were very adamant about not using
> /proc because it is OS specific.  As excluding finding out such
> information from the OS is the only way to decide what's going on
> without rewriting apps (that I know of) I want to know whether
> people are going to accept that they need /proc (or libgtop or
> something that abstracts but still uses the system provided methods)
> or if they are going to stop saying "this won't require modifying
> legacy programs at all."
>
> I want someone to acknowledge that they can't have it both ways and lay out a
> suitable plan for which path they plan to take.

The person actually implementing it will decide. It does not matter
much what people think about it. Some people will modify wm's to honor
the agreed upon hints (like raster and me) and some people will fix
programs to use those hints.

--
Peter Bortas                   http://peter.bortas.org
Idonex AB                      http://www.idonex.com