Re: A Proposal For The Addition Of Color-Reactiveness To The GNOME Desktop

On Wed, 20 May, 1998 at 10:25:38PM -0700, Bowie Poag set free these words:

> Tom Tromey wrote:
>
> > My first reaction whenever I see a proposal to put something into the
> > wm is to reject it.  My reason is that there are many window managers,
> > and everybody has his own preference.  It's better to keep wm
> > requirements as small as possible, and put extended functionality into
> > a new program.

I think so too.  This then leaads to the conclusion that apps that used this
functionality would simply be using these colour indicators as part of their
UI instead of talking to the WM.... Which is nowhere near as neat.  Also..
Would this prelude icons?
> Huh?
>
> > Then we have control over the program, and we also don't require a
> > weird setup.
> >

> ....again, -huh?-
>
> > Think of it like requiring something to be added to everybody's text
> > editor, or everybody's mail reader.  It just doesn't happen.
> >

> Color-reactiveness isn't like that -at all- ..Haven't you read the
> original proposal? There is *nothing* in it at all about how everyone
> needs to rewrite or append their apps to take advantage of color-reactive
> desktop elements. I think you need to do your homework.

But "we've already moved past this point in the course of discussing the
initial proposal.[BJP]"  Colour-reactiveness as it is being discussed now
will require:
    1) Rewriting one's WM to take advantage of special hints that communicate
       state change.
    2) Rewriting any apps that you want to present colour reactiveness as part
       of its UI.
In the absence of _either_ of these, colour-reactiveness fails to make an
appearance.

If you haven't understood this, I think you need to reread raster's postings
and make an objection.  If you have, then please explain your previous
statement to Tom.

-Toshio
--
badger  \"Life is like a china candy dish, filled with brightly promising
@prtr-13 \ sweets, quickly empited.  lasts longer.  dropped.  it breaks."