Re: Debian installation of gnome?

Mark Galassi <rosalia@cygnus.com> writes:

>     robert> I would compile Gnome from CVS and put it in /usr/local
>     robert> rather than use alien, though alien might work it makes me
>     robert> nervous.

> My tip here is to not use /usr/local, or anything where you have other
> programs installed.  That's because in these experimental stages, it
> sometimes helps to completely wipe out your gnome install tree, and it
> also helps to squirrel away a copy when it's stable.

I use "stow" to manage /usr/local on my Debian and Red Hat systems.
Just configure the software with "--prefix=/usr/local", but use

   make install prefix=/usr/local/stow/gnome

to install it, and

   cd /usr/local/stow; stow -vv gnome

to link it into /usr/local (the -vv is just for verbose messages - you
might want to do a ldconfig after this step too).

Then you can, at any time, do:

  cd /usr/local/stow; stow -D gnome

to get rid of it.

Steve