Re: Debian installation of gnome?

On Wed, May 20, 1998 at 09:40:36AM -0400, Chris Fury wrote:
> Forgive me if I'm missing a FAQ or something somewhere (and point
> me to it if I am!! :)
>
> I've freshly installed Debian (1.3 - I will upgrade to 2.0 when it's
> out) on my PC (bye bye Mr. Bill!) and I'd like to get involved with '
> some of the gnome stuff, possibly contributing some programs and the
> like.  But first I have to get gnome installed. :)
>
> So I was wondering what the gotchas I might be expecting when
> I try to install this thing on Debian...  I've noticed that there are
> a number of .rpm packages, should I use alien to install these (I've
> never tried alien before - my last Linux system was RedHat about two
> years ago)

For pre2.0 there exist a bunch of Gnome packages.  I fear that
the majority is still missing though.  I'd appreciate in that case
if you would contact the current maintainer and coordinate the
effort, i.e. sign on as maintainer and be responsible for the
packages yourself :-)

> Should I try compiling it? (I probably will eventually - I kind of want
> the quick fix to look at things right now :)

If you want to follow core development you'll probably need to
compile your stuff  yourself.

Regards,

	Joey

 /              Whenever you meet yourself you're in a time loop /
/ http://home.pages.de/~joey/           or in front of a mirror /

PGP signature