Re: Debian installation of gnome?

On Wed, 20 May 1998, Chris Fury wrote:

> I've freshly installed Debian (1.3 - I will upgrade to 2.0 when it's
> out) on my PC (bye bye Mr. Bill!) and I'd like to get involved with '
> some of the gnome stuff, possibly contributing some programs and the
> like.  But first I have to get gnome installed. :)

1.3 is problematic. You are going to need the latest versions of automake,
autoconf, gettext, and so on, but those are only packaged for hamm, so you
will have to build them all yourself. I would compile Gnome from CVS and
put it in /usr/local rather than use alien, though alien might work it
makes me nervous.

The best thing to do is go ahead and upgrade to hamm or wait until it's
officially released. It's pretty stable now though.

Havoc Pennington ==== http://pobox.com/~hp