Re: gnome-session... still not saving session

Moin moin,

    Toshio> Final problem: I have two extra xterms that keep popping
    Toshio> up on my desktop.  They are in the session file as well.
    Toshio> I just can't seem to get rid of them.  I close them and
    Toshio> run save-session.  No change.  The entries are still in
    Toshio> the session file.  Should I try removing those entries
    Toshio> manually and seeeing what happens?  I have a feeling the
    Toshio> session manager keeps a copy of the session internally and
    Toshio> just uses the file to save state between invocations so
    Toshio> that won't work will it..?

    Tom> I've seen this too.  I believe it is a bug in smproxy.
    Tom> However, I haven't looked at gnome-session under a debugger
    Tom> to verify this.

Have you tried another window manager?  I had the same problem some
time ago while use Afterstep.  Switching to WindowMaker made this
problem disappear.  I haven't tracked this error down, but it looks
like it could also be an error in a window manager.  smproxy relies on
getting CreateNotify, DestroyNotify and PropertyNotify events and if
the window manager catches one of them away, smproxy is lost.  I
think, you can imagine what happens, if smproxy get no DestroyNotify
event ;-)

Tschuess,
	Carsten

Carsten Schaar                         email: nhadcasc@fs-maphy.uni-hannover.de
Schneiderberg 6                private phone: +49 511 715227
30167 Hannover                  office phone: +49 531 226 3509
Germany