Re: properties commands -- explicit run on startup necessary?

Toshio> 1) gnome-session wouldn't save session for all windows.  Is it
Toshio> supposed to as long as smproxy is running?

Yes, it should.  I believe I fixed this bug last night.

Toshio> 1b) Sometimes gnome-session didn't appear to save any session
Toshio> info at all.

Same bug, same fix.

Toshio> Where files does it save to anyway?

~/.gnome/session is what the session manager writes.
Other programs save state anywhere they please.

Toshio> 2) save-session logged me out (but maybe this is expected?)

Only if you gave the `--kill' command line argument.

Please try again with the new gnome-session.  Hopefully this and the
other bugs you reported will just go away.  (I hope so, because I was
unable to reproduce them last night.)

Toshio> One question though:: If I do the following steps, am I
Toshio> running session management correctly?

Toshio> In xinitrc or xsession or Xclients:
Toshio>     eval "fvwm2 ${FVWMOPTIONS} &"
Toshio>     exec gnome-session

Looks good to me.

Toshio> I should now have a desktop with all sorts of wonderful
Toshio> goodies.  When I quit the panel, gnome-session will save state
Toshio> of all windows (save the fact that they're open at least and
Toshio> create some way to reinvoke?)  and exit?

Yes.

Toshio> If I run save-session, it will do the same thing? (save state
Toshio> and exit X?)

Just `save-session' will only save.  `save-session --kill' will exit.

Toshio> I don't have to explicitly set the SESSION_MANAGER variable?

It should be inherited by every program started from gnome-session.
If your wm starts a program then it will not connect to the session
manager.  This is one reason we really need session manager support in
window managers.

Toshio> Will processes invoked by my window manager on startup be
Toshio> session-managed?

Nope.

Tom