Re: icewm hints, etc...

On Mon, May 11, 1998 at 11:15:52PM +0200, Marko Macek wrote:
> I attached the current icewm hints plans. Comments are very welcome. I am
> fully willing to make necessary changes and would really like that people
> would agree on one set of hints. If somebody wants to add a clean extension
> to current icewm hints to suit other gui styles better I certanly add
> and suport them (icewm is strongly oriented towards CUA gui style. I haven't
> ever used NeX?t or a Mac).

[SNIP]
> I welcome comments on icewm hints (WinMgr.h attached). The proposal seems
> a bit large and involved, but I have tried to be thorough.

In the header file you've attached I found a property that contained the
number of the current workspace the application is on and a sticky bit
property. This only allows for an fvwm-like one or all workspaces behaviour.
In other words, a window is on exactly one workspace (sticky bit off) or it
is on all workspaces (stick bit on).

For some window managers this information is not enough. At the university I
use the window manager that comes with Solaris' CDE. This window manager
allows you to select on which workspaces the window is. For example, I can put
my netscape window on workspaces One, Three and Four. I can put an xterm on
workspaces One and Two and an xclock on all my workspaces.

This is more flexible than the scheme you propose. Instead of a single
workspace property and a sticky bit, a window should have a list of workspaces
it is on.

You don't need to implement this in ICEWM if you don't want to, but it would
be nice if the hints you propose allow this behaviour. Some other window
manager that does support this more flexible workspace behaviour can then
implement your hints unmodified.

I hope my explanation is clear enough. If it isn't, don't hesitate to email me.

Jeroen