Re[1]: Telnet app

>>> Stephanos Piperoglou <sp249@cam.ac.uk> seems to think that:
>On Thu, 14 May 1998, Soren Harward wrote:
>
>> I've noticed that of all the little 'net apps in the works, none of them
>> have anything to do with telnet.  I might be making a huge faux pas right
>> here--someone please correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not actually
>> running GNOME at this point.  I think that it might be handy to have a
>> little menu or something that the user could click on that launches a
>> telnet window or something and starts a telnet link to the desired host
>> automatically.  I hate to come up with an idea an then have to ask someone
>> else to do it, but I'm simply not knowledgable enough about programming to
>> do this myself.  If nobody wants to do this, then I guess I'll just start
>> learning C++ and GTK and four years from now have a working program.....
>
>I think it would be easier to just load telnet on gnome-terminal. Downside
>to this is that you don't have any run-time options to telnet, but you
>rarely need these anyway.
  [ ... ]

Every time I move to a new environment, there is a different shell
script "rxterm" written by yet someone else in bash, perl, and what
not.  If gnome-terminal could take a "-host <host>" flag, and then
either start a shell, an rsh or telnet, or exec rsh -e <...> based on
the current environment, that would be handy.  This would let you have
one command that "did the right thing" no matter whose host you were
on.

-Eric

--
|\/\/\___/\/\/|  Eric Ludlam                 zappo@gnu.org; zappo@ultranet.com