Re: icewm hints, etc... (Was: Re: Are their public standards for "window manager compatability"?)

> I believe there is also a need for a simple/generic -properties program
> that would be used to configure the most basic window manager
> properties:
>   - focus style (click,mouse)
>   - colormap focus
>   - workspaces (count/names).
>   - move opaque-vs-outline
>   - ?
>
> The information could be saved in a rc file and later used by wm
> specific
> program to update the configration if possible. When things get better
> integeated an option could be added to the wms to read gnome rc files
> directly.

why not add these as hints ont he root window, then they could be easily
changed dynamically ... and saved to the rc file for next session

the window manager could handle this itself or with a module (such as
in fvwm) ... the module could save the stuff to a wm specific rc file,
while keeping the program absolutely generic ... though this is not
a good idea if there are many properties I guess ...

someone mentioned some time ago a corba module, basically say an fvwm
module that would export the wm's interface through corba ... it would
then be quite trivial to control the wm, and since the corba api would be
the same, the controlling program could be very generic ...

this is a far better, more flexible and heavier duty then the root
window hints. IMO at least

George

George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
  The following implements RSA in perl and is illegal to export from the US: