Re: icewm hints, etc...

Jeroen van der Most wrote:

> In the header file you've attached I found a property that contained the
> number of the current workspace the application is on and a sticky bit
> property. This only allows for an fvwm-like one or all workspaces behaviour.
> In other words, a window is on exactly one workspace (sticky bit off) or it
> is on all workspaces (stick bit on).
>
> For some window managers this information is not enough. At the university I
> use the window manager that comes with Solaris' CDE. This window manager
> allows you to select on which workspaces the window is. For example, I can put
> my netscape window on workspaces One, Three and Four. I can put an xterm on
> workspaces One and Two and an xclock on all my workspaces.
>
> This is more flexible than the scheme you propose. Instead of a single
> workspace property and a sticky bit, a window should have a list of workspaces
> it is on.
>
> You don't need to implement this in ICEWM if you don't want to, but it would
> be nice if the hints you propose allow this behaviour. Some other window
> manager that does support this more flexible workspace behaviour can then
> implement your hints unmodified.

Well, in earlier releases of icewm each window could be on any of
the 32 workspaces (using the bitmask). It worked, but both internals
and user interface were not as simple/clean as I would like. So I
decided
to simplify things and implement only one_workspace+sticky_bit. It
is clean and symmetrical.

Except for CDE most other wms use this style of doing multiple
workspaces (fvwm, WindowMaker, kde, ... and icewm).

Do we really need this? Also, how to implement the user interface
cleanly?

Maybe WIN_WORKSPACE could be a list of <32 CARD32s and sending a
client message would be interpreted as setting the workspace to only one
of
the available ones. There could be additional messages for
adding/removing
workspaces specified.

Mark
--