Re: Safe to touch:

    JONATHAN> Hello Gnome list. I am a new Linux user. I know enough
    JONATHAN> to install linux, do basic administration, navigate
    JONATHAN> through the filesystem, and use the simpler
    JONATHAN> applications. [...] Is gnome still in the "look but
    JONATHAN> don't touch" stage for users like me? Is it too
    JONATHAN> technical at this stage?

You know, GNOME is enough fun that if I were you I would try it out.

Installation can give you some problems because in RedHat 4.2 and 5.0
several libraries have to be dealt with, but if you post problem
reports to this list there are a few people who will take time to
answer them.