RE: GnomeSelectPaper Widget

> > > Hey, neat. Perhaps the widget should be part of/include a
> whole "Page
> > > Setup" kind of deal? Stuff like resolution, number of
> copies, 2-up... I
> > > guess that's an entire app... ;-) The word processor,
> GLUe, etc. could all
> > > use this.
> > >
> > Please don't seperate them though, use tabs. I always have
> found Windoze's
> > seperate Print and Page Setup dialogs annoying, since you
> had to go through
> > two dialogs to check and make sure that your print settings
> were correct.
> > Eew.
>
> I agree.  Add to that the printer-specific dialog and print
> preview, and you've got a maze of printer-configuration dialogs &
> menu selections to wade through.
>
> Would it be practical to put the printer-specific options on a
> third tab?  And does GNOME have a standard implementation of
> print preview?

For generic print dialogs and a gnome/gtk printing widgets etc. would not
some work in the GIMP be a decent place to start gleening bits & ideas (and
perhaps the code itself) from. It already supports Postscript, PPD, PCL, and
other printer output. The URL for it is at

  http://www.easysw.com/~mike/gimp/print.html

It certainly would bring the gnome project a good deal closer to a unified
architecture if there were a unified printing mechanism.