Re: First impressions - USER report

> >I'm just waiting for icewm to become Gnome-friendly to go fully Gnome on
> >my system. As it is it's kind of annoying to have the panel for applets
> >and the taskbar to keep track of windows, since there's no screen space
> >left. Plus icewm keeps sticking windows underneath the panel.
>
> i've got the same problem with fvwm2-95, but for now it suffices to just
> kill the taskbar.  the wm needs to be able to put those "window buttons"
> on the panel, though, i think.  is there any reason an applet has to be a
> separate executable?  would it be possible for a window manager to put its
> own "internal applets" on the panel?  all they would need to do is have
> callbacks to the same old code in the wm that has always brought up an
> open window on request.  obviously not all wms would do this cause they
> don't all have a taskbar, but for those that have one, here's one gnomely
> thing to do.

yes the wm could do that, however this would require an actual
gnomification of the wm .... in fact fvwm has all it's "modules" as
separate executables so it's nothing new

all that needs to be done is to rewrite the taskbar module to make it an
applet ... OR ... put it on the opposite side of the screen OR once the
WM knows about the panel and has a _PANEL or whatever named hint on it
it can have it's own internal taskbar just aoid the space in which panel
is ...

George

George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
  The following implements RSA in perl and is illegal to export from the US: