Re: GMedia v0.1

> > Haven't looked at the app yet, but you might be re-inventing the wheel.
> > Xanim [1] is I believe the most comprehensive general-purpose media player
>
> Gnome IS about reinventing the wheel (in a better way, obviously).
> My plan is in fact to use xanim and others to view files supported by these
> apps. Xanim implements a very useful "remote control" feature that I plan to
> use. For other types of players (.mod, .wav and .mid), I will choose the
> best tradeoff: whether to integrate them in gmedia's source and invoking
> external helpers. Gmedia is currently not open to this structure, but I plan
> to modularize it so that new types can be added (and .mailcap can be used as
> fallback).

What about expanding that into a whole application frame-work for
providing embedded "media" in /any/ application, not just a general
purpose media viewer?

e.g. an "animation" class, which animates and displays "frames", which
are generated by mpeg, etc animation "sub-classes", etc.  Instances of
these then (in effect) become a new widget which any application can
use.

Or a "picture" class, done similarly (e.g. take the core rendering
stuff out of imlib, and remove the loaders to separate sub-classes
which only have to deal with loading/saving themselves, and not how
they are rendered).  With a mailcap or 'file' or other system to
recognise which loader to use.

Maybe i'm barking up the wrong tree, and the gnome-way may be to embed
"gmedia" in a window if you want that kinda thing in your application?

(it all sounds too like datatypes to me)

 Michael Zucchi

--
     ///   `... thinking is an exercise to which all too few brains
    ///     are accustomed.' - First Lensman, E.E. `Doc' Smith