Re: Gtk-Xmhtml and lists

> I noticed that gnome-help-browser doesn't handle the rendering of lists as
> well as it should.  I was viewing a docbook generated Table of Contents and
> found that it wasn't displaying any indent for the generated definition lists
> (<dl>).  It also doesn't show any bullets for unordered lists.  These things
> would make the output significantly more readable.  Could they be taken down
> as something that should be worked on sometime?
This is an error caused by docbook, not by (Gtk)XmHTML. The nested lists
docbook generates are in violation with the HTML3.2 standard, this explicitly
states that nested lists may only occur when they are *inside* a list
element. So:

<ul>
	<li>some text
		<ul>
			<li>a nested list</li>
		</ul>
	</li>
</ul>

is a valid list while

<ul>
	<li>some text</li>	<!-- note closing <li> -->
	<ul>
		<li>nested list</li>
	</ul>
</ul>

is an invalid list.

When XmHTML detects a new list *outside* an <li>, it closes the current
list and starts a new one, thereby maintaining HTML compliance.

One might disagree with this behavior, but I'm already allowing for waaaay to
many HTML errors when XmHTML isn't running in strict HTML3.2 mode. You'd be
surprised how terrible almost every page looks when you run XmHTML in strict
HTML compliance mode...

Cheers,
Koen D'Hondt
---