Re: Re[1]: spell checking

>> How about the tool tip one?  Too rude?

Eric> Tooltips are fine as long as the don't cover up important stuff.
Eric> If I were typing, and a tooltip popped up suggesting a word
Eric> under the word that was wrong, that would most likely be over
Eric> the text I'd be typing.

Something I've done in some applications is to provide immediate error
feedback for an entry widget using something like a tooltip.

Like a tooltip, it appears below the widget, not over it.  It has a
different background color than a tooltip (to make clear that it is an
error, not just informational).

FWIW I rather like how this turned out.  In these situations I get
immediate feedback when I've entered something incorrect.  In my book
this is much better than hitting the OK button and getting a dialog.
I dislike dialogs, as they interrupt my work flow too much.

Underlining the misspelled word is really just a different application
of the same general idea ("eliminate dialogs").

Tom