Re[1]: spell checking

>>> Ken Said:
  [ ... ]
>> I agree with the status line sentiment, but then I think everything
>> should be like emacs. ;)
>
>How about the tool tip one?  Too rude?

Tooltips are fine as long as the don't cover up important stuff.  If I
were typing, and a tooltip popped up suggesting a word under the word
that was wrong, that would most likely be over the text I'd be typing.

Someone recently posted a dynamic spell checker to gnu.emacs.sources that
underlines misspelled words.  It used a popup menu to select fixes.

  [ ... ]
>> There are all sorts of things these status lines are good for.  One of
>> emacs' best features is that all it's messages, and completion bars are
>> down there, and not in your face.  Applications should never be in
>> your face.  That is reserved for spouses. ;)
>
>Emacs is very nice about not getting in ones face.  Hey, maybe if your
>spouse takes LISP instrruuu... eh... nevermind

My spouse is an accomplished emacs programmer and has donated a couple
things to gnu.emacs.sources.  I don't think she takes lisp instructions
directly however.  SQL is more her speed. :)

-Eric

ps.  Weird gnome trick of the day:  Double-click the buttons that hide the
                                    panel.  Cool, if not expected.

--
|\/\/\___/\/\/|  Eric Ludlam                 zappo@gnu.org; zappo@ultranet.com
\____ o o ____/  Homepage:                      http://www.ultranet.com/~zappo