re: sounds

raster@redhat.com wrote:

> On 30 Apr, Tom Tromey shouted:
> ->  Michael> are there any plans to include "sound events" in gnome ?
> ->
> ->  Yes.
> ->
> ->  Michael> i.e. when closing a window or so
>
> that's probably best left to the wm (sometimes an app doesnt have a
> choice and has their window close and cant do anything... the wm will
> always survive a window colse and can "do something" bes stick to
> thinks liek button clicks, menu clicks,  and a simple api to "play this
> sample now" or something..

true.. in most cases the windowmanager would be best for implementing
it.

I personally have absolutely no use for sounds .. but thinking of the
new GNOME user who wants the power/stability of Linux with the
consitancy of windows9X.. i think it is fairly important to configure.

i think that the sound configuration should be taken care of in a tab in
the control panel and then implemented BOTH in gnome AND the window
manager (whichever is more appropriate)

for example, the user will expect to configure sounds for events such as
menu click, trash empty, window maximise, window close etc etc..

for things such as menu click and trash empty gnome/gtk will have to
take care of it. for the other 2 it is best left to the WM. There is no
way to do everything from the windowmanager and if we choose to do
-everything- through GNOME it will be difficult and flaky.

Later,
        nopzor

[snip]