Re: gnome-stock pixmaps

On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, robert havoc pennington wrote:

> If you write a Gnome program, it should use GnomePropertyBox, or something
> so close the difference is imperceptible.
>
> There are four buttons, with the following effects:
>
> OK: Same as clicking Apply followed by Close.
> Apply: Irrevocably apply changes.
> Close: Close the dialog. Do not apply, do not revoke previous applies.
> Help: Display help.

So I should just lay off? No way, I don't think so many operating system
can be wrong. A Help Button is completly useless unless it's the first
time you use the application, and those cases can be solved in a better
way.

Amiga, BeOS, MacOS, Win95 and QNX, they don't use any Help button in thier
apps, wonder why... You shouldn't go berserk with userfriendlieness, just
because you are designing a new GUI.

> it is trivial to compile your local copy with no OK button

Ah, but using the standard is the best option anyway, my request is more
in the form of removing one button (the help) to replace it with some
other interface which looks better. Menu whatever.

Strange idea really, help buttons.

--
Erik Johansson, one of those sloppy students
A big QNX, Linux/x86/m68k Amiga and BeOS fan