Re: gnome-stock pixmaps

On Fri, 1 May 1998, Erik Johansson wrote:

> Ohh no! I've seen this in the panel, I don't really understand why you
> would like a help button, why not use Win95 thingy, with RMB click to
> bring up a menu with explainations.

If you need help, you probably don't know to right-click. Thus the visible
help button.

> Why is it so important with a help button in every singel dialog? Most
> lusers which they are implemented for wont click them anyway. That's the
> expression I get from whatching beginners using Win95.

It's only in the property box. Is it really annoying you *that* much? If
it is, it's a tiny patch to gnome-propertybox.c in gnome-libs. Change your
local copy. CVS makes this easy.

> On gnomes UI in general; most of it really looks like a bad excuse to
> bring the  Win3.11 GUI back in bussiness. With one exception ee, Raster
> did a great job design that app.

Do you have any specific suggestions, or is this a totally unconstructive
flame?

> Say after me; small, slim and fast GUIs.

Gnome is quite small and fast; especially if you disable debugging in all
the libraries.

By the way, there is nothing about ee's UI which makes it
smaller/slimmer/faster than any other Gnome app's UI. The difference is
purely cosmetic. Most Gnome apps have lots of little UI idiosyncracies,
hopefully over the long term we will pick the best of each and make them
consistent.

Followups should go to gnome-gui@gnome.org.

Havoc Pennington
http://pobox.com/~hp