Drag 'N' Drop Protocol (?!)

	What is the DnD protocol being used for Gnome?  Is it Xde or is it
Xdnd?

	On the Gnome FAQ at:

http://www.mindspring.com/~tlewis/gnome/faq/FAQ-3.html

	it states:

> What about Drag&Drop?
>
> GNOME will use the X Windows Drag-And-Drop Protocol. You can find more
> at http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~jafl/xdnd/.

	...but then again, on the Gnome website at the URL:

http://www.gnome.org/devel/arch/dnd.shtml

	it states:

> GNOME will be using the drag and drop support included in the Gtk+
> toolkit. Currently, Gtk uses the Xde protocol, developed specifically
> to fit the needs of a modern desktop environment. Future support is
> planned for other protocols such as the Motif protocol.

> Xde is related to, but different from (and better than --sopwith :)
> the Xdnd drag and drop specification. Please read this document for the
> details of this implementation.

	...so which is it, and who do I email to fix the incorrect
documentation?

	Also, I just want to say that I hope were using the Xdnd protocol.
It may be techinally inferior to Xde, but it's  1) non-proprietary, 2) an
open standard, and 3) the protocol in use by the KDE project.  If Gnome
runs off in its own incompatible-with-everyone-else  direction with
something as important as DnD, it's a very bad sign.

	So what's the scoop?  Some people over on the WindowMaker list
want to know...

Derek Simkowiak
dereks@blarg.net