Re: property dialogs

Hmmm....

Well, to me it seems that we just must have differing styles of use.
Once I see a dialog like this, I know better the next time and commit
before moving on.  I also tend to use the keyboard for most of my
navigation...it is generally quicker.  The recent trend on Windows seems
to be going towards fat dialogs with a confusing array of buttons, and
no easy way of jumping from one dialog element to another without
hitting the tab key a zillion times.  Less clutter eliminates some
of this.

Tom, doesn't this suggest that the standard dialog UIs be dynamically
loaded libraries...or a CORBA invoked desktop service?  If the people
who care about this can reach a consensus on the functionality and
the API we can have alternatives to suit different users.

George wrote:

> this is a really bad clutter ... I'd hate eitehr having to press the
> button all the time .. or getting an annoying dialog everytime I change
> page .... I wanna do the changes in teh whole dialog and then apply
>
> I don't see the point of doing apply only on one page in most occasions
>
> if the apply is this page only, ... leave it on the notebook .... but
> DON'T add dialogs such as these ... it make the UI annoying

To me, it is less annoying than being unsure of the meaning of 'Apply.'
Some of the earlier discussion suggested both an 'Apply' and an 'Apply
All.'  This is still ambiguous.  Apply to me means 'make it so', and
to me the 'it' is what I see in front of me.  Tabbed dialogs let me see
a limited set of things at a time.  It would be OK to work the way you
suggest if it was true across everything on your desktop.  If 100% of
your desktop is GNOME, great.  If not, you're still left confused at
the application's true meaning of 'Apply' on occasion.  Applying hidden
attributes is (to me) confusing, annoying, and non obvious.

Again, I think both of our opinions are valid and the preference for
the UI L&F should be abstracted out from the real function the dialog
needs to serve.  The most 'popular' L&F (probably similar to what you
suggest) should be the default.

Just MHO.