Re: LaTeX widget?

Take a look at my DVIview widget. Outdated docs are available at

  http://www.pvda.nl/~kasper/tex/libXtex/

It displays DVI files, including embedded postscript. It is currently
in use in 'nDVI', a Netscape plugin for display of DVI files (info
at http://norma.nikhef.nl/~t16/ndvi_doc.html). It works, though it
could use a little bit of polishing. Feel free to take it and wrap
it in a GTK widget.

TeX is notoriously bad at re-displaying only a little bit of the
entire file. I have a hobby project running to re-write TeX in the
form of a C++ library, with a lot more hooks for interactive use.
Apart from wordprocessing purposes, I would also like to have such a
thing for eg. symbolic manipulation programs (like Mathematica or
Maple). For those applications, being able to select individual symbols
etc. is very important. Anyone wanting to join can drop me a mail.
Don't bet on this for the near future though.

I was under the impression that LyX uses its own rendering engine, and
only uses TeX for the final print. Has that changed?

Kasper