Re: LaTeX widget?

dirk@luedi.oche.de (Dirk Luetjens) writes:

> I just used lyx and didn't get familiar to the presented forntend. I asked
> myself if I should reinvent the wheel and start a gnome project with a
> easy usable LaTeX front-end. I know there is a wordprocessor project
> already, but I haven't found any specs about what they are doing.

Please don't reinvent the wheel and rather try to port LyX to GNOME.
The current LyX is 0.12.0 and development has already begun with the
very recent 0.13.0 version, which was made available today.  If i
understood it correctly one of the goals for the next LyX release is
to free the LyX kernel from it's GUI surroundings and to provide hooks
for other GUI's and widget sets like KDE/Qt (there is already a port
underway!), XForms, Motif and last not least gtk.  Lots of people
(including me) really like and use LyX in it's current incarnation,
but i would be more than happy if someone could manage to spice it's
GUI up with something else than this terrible XForms widget set.  I've
already seen and tested a still unofficial version of a KDE based KLyX
and was very glad that this port was not simply the same old LyX with
just another widget set.  Actually it has been made very much more
useable and i don't doubt at all that this is possible with a gtk GUI
as well.

So please consider to port, enhance and contribute to LyX instead of
starting yet another wordprocessor project which might possibly
prevent synergetic development work.

                                Thank you, P. *8^)
--
   Paul Seelig                         pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de