Re: compile bug

Tom Tromey <tromey@creche.cygnus.com> writes:
> Raja> You'll notice that usually `xgettext' is run to generate the .po
> Raja> file.  Here, however, `configure' decided that `xgettext' wasn't
> Raja> available, and replaced it with `:'.
>
> Raja> The correct fix:
>
> Raja> 	rm -f config.cache; ./configure --with-included-gettext
>
> I assume this is something that will only affect people building out
> of the cvs repo?  (I still haven't looked at it.)  We shouldn't
> require everybody to use --with-included-gettext.

I now find out it is not so simple.

- People compiling out of CVS have to install the GNU gettext for the
   `xgettext' program.  The `xgettext' that comes with X11 will not do.

- People compiling from the `gnome-*-0.13.tar.gz', or the `tar.gz'
   output of `make dist' need either to have installed the gettext
   library (i.e. -lintl) or `configure --with-included-gettext'. This
   allows the program to be linked against $(top_builddir)/intl/libintl.a
   if necessary.

Internationalization, i.e., the generation of message catalogs depends
on external programs.  Localization, i.e., the use of message catalogs
depends either on the `libc', installed libintl.*, or the included
libintl.a.

`make dist' probably includes the output of the i18nization process,
whereas CVS access, without any generated files, needs part of the i18n
process to be performed.

- Hari