can't start gnome 0.20 panel in RH5.1

 I just installed RH5.1 along with the
nonsecurity errata. I then installed gnome v0.20 along with the
required support rpms. When I try to start the gnome panel I get the
following error message after the panel flashes on then off.

debug: need old_cfg
started applet, pid xxx
address.cc:437 assertion failed
Aborted (core dumped)

* ERROR ** could not communicate with the panel

I tried this in both 16 bit and 24 bit mode and had the same problem.
I'm running XFREE with a matrox millenium 4MB card on a P133 system.

Also, I installed the same software on my machine P166 at work
with different graphics card and it works fine.

Thanks for any help.
Jeff

Jeffrey Augenbaum
augenbau@erols.com