Re: gnome-admin (ping.c) compile woes

Bob Bernstein wrote:

> Here's snippet of the refusal of gnome-admin-0.20 to build on this system,
> which so far has built every other package in the 0.20 tarballs except
> 'media', which I haven't tried yet.
>
> ---------------- snip --------------------
>
> ping.c: In function `sendping':
> ping.c:150: sizeof applied to an incomplete type
> ping.c:161: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> ping.c:162: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> ping.c:163: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> ping.c:164: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> ping.c:165: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> ping.c:166: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> ping.c:166: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> ping.c:166: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> ping.c:166: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> ping.c:166: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> ping.c:166: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> ping.c:166: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> ping.c:166: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> ping.c:168: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> ping.c: In function `readping':
> ping.c:192: warning: passing arg 5 of `recvfrom' from incompatible pointer
> type
> ping.c:200: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> ping.c:200: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> make[4]: *** [ping.o] Error 1
> make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/gnome-admin-0.20/gxsnmp/app'
> make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/gnome-admin-0.20/gxsnmp'
> make[2]: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
>
> -------------------- snip -------------------
>
> Praise, blame, stipulations, excoriations, broadsides, wagers, anyone? <g>
>
> --------------------n--e--u--t--r--i--n--o----f--e--v--e--r--!-------------
> Bob Bernstein      bernie@brainiac.com       http://www.brainiac.com/bernie
> at
> Esmond, R.I.       ftp://rupturedduck.dyn.ml.org  (sometimes)
>
> --

  Hey,

    I had this same problem. It appears to be a libc5 thing. In order to solve
it (Is this solving, or am I an Idiot  ?)
yoy must do two things. First, add #define __BSD_SOURCE to the TOP of ping.c,
secondly add the following
struct definition anywhere before sendping()

    struct icmp {
        __u8        icmp_type;
        __u8        icmp_code;
        __u16      icmp_cksum;
        __u16      icmp_id;
        __u16      icmp_seq;
    };

This struct definition SEEMS TO ME to be correct. It will at least get you
compiled. I Have Not tested this
however, so it almost Certainly doesn't work

Hope this gets you at least up and Running !!

-- Rich        (rrichard@pcola.gulf.net)