GNOME programs crash

Hello

I am having serious problems running gnome.
I am running kernel version 2.1.103 on a PowerMac.

I've downloaded, compiled, and installed the following:
GTK 1.0.2
mico 2.0.6
gnome-libs-0.20
gnome-core-0.20
Plus the latest version of whatever else was needed by those packages.

Every GNOME program from gnome-core crashes.
panel prints a debug message before catching sigsegv.
background-properties reports "an x io error occured" then catches a
sigpipe signal.
gnome-terminal opens, but exits if I click a menu title, plus it prints
numbers and symbols as I type in the xterm window I launch it from.

What could cause these problems?

Thanks,
Ian Farmer
jumbocat@cyberg8t.com