Re: Project idea: IDE

Samuel Ziegler wrote:

> I just wanted to put a feeler out to see what people felt about
> a GNOME based IDE.  My concept is to connect all of the parts
> of the IDE (editor, compiler, debugger, source control, etc) through
> CORBA interfaces so that it wouldn't be too hard to put a wrapper
> around your favorite X and use it in the system.  So basically, you
> have a main object which coordinates the activities and connects
> all of the subservient parts.

Oh, I think it's an excellent idea!   To develop robust,
consistent apps, you need a powerful, easy-to-use set of tools.
A solid desktop environment is a good first step; an IDE is the
next logical progression.  Some kind of higher-level application
framework should probably follow (e.g. Microsoft's MFC or
Borland's OWL).  I think maybe this final step will manifest
itself in GNOME as a CORBA component infrastructure, rather than
as a code library like MFC/OWL.  (Thoughts, anyone?)

Granted, I'm pretty new to CORBA, but I would still like to help
out.  Let me know what I can do...

John