Re: Merging EFLIB phase 1 and GNOME

On Mon, 1 Jun 1998, Johan Larsson wrote:

> > 2) Which ORB is EFLIB using? Would that ORB be useful for GNOME?
>
> Today we have nothing ready with CORBA, but we have a meta-engine.
> An advanced meta engine is the first step towards an ORB.

	What is a meta-engine? Can you elaborate on the differences
	between a meta-engine's operational parametrics and yo pimp
	daddy?

;-)

All joking aside, I just looked at the EFLIB page:
    "EFLIB is aiming on becoming an
     open standard framework for every Pascal programmer, no matter what
     platform or what compiler is being used."

Now, I think it would be cool if Object Pascal programmers could use the
GNOME and Gtk+ libraries in their apps. Is anyone interested in doing
this? Does anyone on the EFLIB team have experience with Pascal <-> C
bindings? There are a lot of people on this list and gtk-list who answer
questions on interlanguage bindings, but I'm in the Real Men Don't Do
Pascal camp, so I wouldn't want to take on the project myself. ;-)

I don't really see, however, the use of Pascal libraries, EFLIB
specifically, in GNOME programs. At a quick glance, the EFLIB license
seems incompatible with the GPL, and in addition much of the functionality
in EFLIB is already available in glib and other freely available C
libraries.

Hope this helps,
-- Elliot
When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather...
	...not yelling and screaming like the people in the back of the
	   plane he was flying.