gnome-libs requires gtk 1.1?

I posted a message about gnome-libs failing to compile (GtkEnumValue
wasn't in any header files).  I had gtk 1.0.4, and I just got gtk 1.1,
and it works.  Should the autoconf script should check for gtk 1.1 now?

I would do it myself, but I'm having problems learning m4.  Could
someone explain this:  in the m4 info pages, it says you can define
macros with:

define('macro_name', 'argument one is $1')
macro_name('first argument')

but I've only found it to work without the quotes on the macro_name.

Andrew Clausen