Re: assert() and mico difficulties

On Sun, 5 Jul 1998, Michael A Wolf wrote:
> Well, after wasting most of an afternoon with mico, I've finally given
> up.  I haven't seen this problem mentioned on these mailing lists before
> (which isn't to say it hasn't been asked!).  Anyways, here is the compile
> error I can't seem to get around:
>
> make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/mico/auxdir'
> /tmp/mico/./idl/idl --name dynany ../include/mico/dynany.idl
> address.cc:437: assertion failed
> make[1]: *** [dynany.cc] IOT trap/Abort
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/mico/auxdir'
> make: *** [system] Error 1

I have often seen this problem when building gnome-core (which uses idl
for the applets) on my machine at work with no valid DNS.  Ping localhost
works just fine, however, if it cannot ping the machine's hostname, it
will fail just like above.  When I hardcode my hostname with my current
dynamic IP address into /etc/hosts, it works fine.

On a side note, I hope that ORBit and any other TCP/IP aware programs are
not requiring that DNS be properly functional in order for the program to
work.  I know I am not on the only network with a DNS-paranoid system
administrator.

Best of Luck,
-Gleef