Gimp and Gnome

I recently installed the Gnome 0.20 Desktop from the rpms for RH 5.1.
This seems to have broken the gimp (0.99.28).  It always returned an
unresolved error.  Well, no one expects beta software to behave well so
I rebuilt the gimp from source.  It will run now but it can only see the
XCF format.  As near as I can tell I have all the necessary libraries
but gimp doesn't seem to know this.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

--
Stephen Carville