Re: problems with autogen.sh

MfG> aclocal.m4 does not exists, so I copied .../libtool.m4 to
MfG> aclocal.m4.

The libtool suggestion is somewhat wrong if you are planning to run
aclocal as well.  aclocal will overwrite aclocal.m4.

>> autogen.sh --prefix=/public/gnu/gnome
MfG> processing .
MfG> `aclocal' will also look in `macros'
MfG> aclocal: configure.in: 17: macro `AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' not found in library

This happens because you didn't install libtool in the same tree as
automake.  You should configure and install them using the same
--prefix.

Or, copy libtool.m4 to the place aclocal expects to find it.

I realize this isn't the best situation.  In the short term it is
unfixable.

Tom