Re: problems with

MfG> aclocal.m4 does not exists, so I copied .../libtool.m4 to
MfG> aclocal.m4.

The libtool suggestion is somewhat wrong if you are planning to run
aclocal as well.  aclocal will overwrite aclocal.m4.

>> --prefix=/public/gnu/gnome
MfG> processing .
MfG> `aclocal' will also look in `macros'
MfG> aclocal: 17: macro `AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' not found in library

This happens because you didn't install libtool in the same tree as
automake.  You should configure and install them using the same

Or, copy libtool.m4 to the place aclocal expects to find it.

I realize this isn't the best situation.  In the short term it is