Re: ORB?

On 28 Jan 1998, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Miles> Being new to the list, I've missed whatever discussions have
> Miles> been held on the choice of CORBA ORB for GNOME and
> Miles> beyond. What's the current thinking on the subject? ILU, MICO,
> Miles> or ???
>
> I think the current leaning is towards MICO.  None of the free ORBs is
> a very good fit:
>
> * OmniORB is C++ only and is missing a lot of features.
>   On the plus side, it is fast.
>
> * MICO is C++ only.
>   On the plus side, it has CORBA features that both ILU and OmniORB
>   lack.

FWIW, we can use the IR from Mico with any ORB (i.e. OmniORB). The biggest
thing lacking with OmniORB is having a BOA that supports more activation
policies... The OmniORB people will be adding DII and DSI "shortly".

I've been playing with the OmniORB IDL compiler and have it generating
something that looks like C header files ;-) If anyone cares to help out
with an OmniORB angle on things, porting libomnithread to C might be a
good start. libomniORB2 will also need porting to C eventually...

-- Elliot					http://www.redhat.com/
"The obvious mathematical breakthrough would be development of an easy way
to factor large prime numbers." -- Bill Gates from "The Road Ahead," p. 265.