Re: Gnome Talk

On Mon, 26 Jan 1998, Luis Francisco Gonzalez wrote:

> Hi,
> I have seen from the web pages that GNU/Talk needs to be ported into GTK.
> I would like to know if someone is working on this. If I don't receive any
> answer, I will have a go at it starting tomorrow.

While you are talking about writing a talk client, I'd like to add
something I've been thinking about (but haven't the knowledge to actually
do).  What about making a gnome-message daemon (perhaps started as an
applet on panel?), which receives requests for talk, SMB messages, Netware
messages, AppleTalk 'Broadcast's, etc?  Also then integrated into (or
started by) the 'interceptor' could be the various chat/talk/broadcast
client(s)? I think it would be especially nice to support in GNOME all of
the various 'talk' clients that Linux does.  Perhaps if it were modular
one could later also add voice mail and IRC (perhaps also ICQ).

Dein,
Wil
W. Reilly Cooley, Esq.                   Schöner Götterfunken
cooleyw@reed.edu                             wcooley@navi.net
Linux 2.0.32                           RedHat 5.0 (Hurricane)

These days, you can't throw a tomato out the window without
hitting a college kid who knows and loves Linux.