ghront page

Suggested three stage project for a www devel tool

The following is a suggestion for an end user application
Obviously the more graphically oriented the editor/view
the nicer.  I'm sure we will here feed back about how this
can be done with lynx --dump, emacs, ls, cp, mv, dd and perl.

Basically I've made some observations of end users using
front page.  Some of the things they are able to do with
little or no computer skills have impressed me.  I think
the following will get us closer in this arena.

In view of NS source release and the status of gnome perhaps
the following is worth thinking about.

1.  user oject oriented browsing capability of web sites.
    (could this fit in with mc?) Sites are objects containing
    pages, pages are objects containing many different objects.
   a.  view the web site with a 'file manager'
   b.  view link status for the site (page with all brocken
       unknown/offsite links)
   c.  view the site as a graphical tree
   d.  launch a browser on any page
   e.  viewing a page as outlined above would be nice...
       leading to the ability to drag objects around later.

2.  editing capability.
   a.  click on any of the above views brings an editor up
       with the page
   b.  fixing on broken link fixes all cases of the same
       broken link throughout the site.
   c.  draggin items in the graphical tree from one location
       to another updates links.
   d.  ability to insert a variety of objects to the page
        1.  links/mail...
        2.  graphics
        3.  banners, search utils, ...
	4.  applets, animated gifs, ...
   e. spell checking

3.  advanced features
   a.  the ability to retrieve and post a site from/to a
       remote server
   b.  The ability to use themes on the site.  A set of images
       used to create banners, navigation buttons, ...
   c.  The ability to create templates.  implementing a
       template for a gnome app project with a given template
       would have a site with mail-list, archives, search
       engines, status page, GPL page dowload,... creating
       the entire site should take less than an hour with
       a template/theme in hand.
    d. template support with frames.  a navigation theme
       should be able to update navigation links when objects
       are moved around the site with the object viewer.
    e. _duck_  the ability to view the web page as html source
       or parsed output.  edit capability in both modes.

Trent Jarvi
jarvi@ezlink.com