Re: Gnome Talk

> While you are talking about writing a talk client, I'd like to add
> something I've been thinking about (but haven't the knowledge to actually
> do).  What about making a gnome-message daemon (perhaps started as an
> applet on panel?), which receives requests for talk, SMB messages, Netware
> messages, AppleTalk 'Broadcast's, etc?  Also then integrated into (or
> started by) the 'interceptor' could be the various chat/talk/broadcast
> client(s)? I think it would be especially nice to support in GNOME all of
> the various 'talk' clients that Linux does.  Perhaps if it were modular
> one could later also add voice mail and IRC (perhaps also ICQ).

I had planned to impliment a generic message display system when I impliment
a gnome/gtk interface to MIT's Zephyr messaging system.  It would allow
messages to be highly customized in the way the user wants them displayed,
and would easily allow for other messaging systems to display messages.

--
Gerald Britton
gbritton@mit.edu