Re: gnome 0.12, Irix 6.3

Jamie> Here are the results of the various files that got dumped into
Jamie> my /usr/local/bin/...  Is there somewhere else I should be
Jamie> looking for "the list of things that Gnome does"?

Not that I know of.  The docs are nonexistent at this point, sorry.

Jamie>   find-file:
Jamie>     works, but writes to stdout -- shouldn't it be writing into
Jamie>     a window?

Yeah.  The goal is to have it create a virtual folder in the file
manager and put its results there.  There isn't much point to making
it do anything until the file manager can handle this.  (Actually the
find-file author was going to put the results into a very simple
window, but he seems to have disappeared...)

Jamie>   * Surely there are man pages or info files somewhere?

No.

The plan is to write docs using DocBook.  gtt is the only program that
actually has any written.

Jamie>   * Don't you find it really annoying that hitting RET in a text area
Jamie>     doesn't automatically click on the "Ok" or "Run" button, or
Jamie>     whatever?

Is this a Gtk issue or a Gnome issue?  (I don't know.)  If the latter,
I'd suggest sending specific bug reports (aside: does Gnome need a
more formalized bug reporting/tracking system?) to this list.  Else
bring it up on the gtk list.

Jamie>   * I expected the footprint dingus to be a popup menu, but it's a
Jamie>     stay-up menu instead.  That's kind of weird...

Yeah, I've noticed this too.  It's annoying.

Jamie> * I saw mention of using a "Gnome-aware window manager."  What
Jamie>     window manager is this?  Where do I get it?  What does it
Jamie>     give me?

It doesn't exist yet.

The idea is that some pieces of functionality will require more
communication with the wm than is defined by the ICCCM.  So the Gnome
wm will have a CORBA interface that can be used to do these extra
things.

Offhand I don't remember what they are.  There was some discussion
about it in the recent past though.

Jamie>   * How do I embed random other programs in the panel?  Specifically,
Jamie>     xload, xfaces, xdaliclock, and xpostit?

You can't, yet, as far as I know.

Jamie>   * How would I go about making it use xscreensaver instead of
Jamie>     xlockmore?  Where's the documentation for this kind of stuff?

There are no docs.
You'd have to hack display-properties to make it use xscreensaver.  In
theory display-properties was written to allow other screen savers to
be plugged in.  In practice nobody has done it.

Tom